Writing to Donor Families
You can now experience the precious gift of life thanks to the generosity of your donor.
This is your chance to express your gratitude for the hero who gave you a second chance at life.
Please take the time to write to your donor family. This will allow them to share in your joy, and provide them with a sense of healing and comfort in their time of grief.
All correspondence is completely anonymous and identities are confidential.
Guidelines for correspondence:
Provide general information:
- Your first name only
- Your family situation, such as marital status, children or grandchildren
- Your occupation, hobbies or interests
- What led to you becoming a transplant patient
- The state where you live
Closing your card or letter:
- Sign your first name only
- Do not reveal your address, phone number or e-mail address
- Do not reveal the name of the hospital or physician who cared for you
How to Mail Your Letter
- Place your letter in an unsealed envelope. (No postage necessary.)
- Include a separate note in the envelope with your full name and the date of your operation.
- Mail to:
Attn: Family Correspondence
204 Sigma Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15238
When we receive the envelope, CORE will review the content to ensure confidentiality before forwarding your letter to the family.
Please keep in mind that you may or may not hear back from the family. Some families correspond with recipients, and others simply find comfort in knowing their loved one’s donation provided a second chance at life.
Thank you for considering this opportunity to provide donor families with comfort and express your feelings. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact us at 800-DONORS-7 (800-366-6777).